Saturday, October 17, 2009

Floating and falling

When I was little my family lived in a little two bedroom townhouse. I shared a bedroom with my brothers. Not fun, if you are a little girl that wants her own space. To fix that situation, my father built me a bed on stilts. We painted it pink…I loved that bed, I felt like the princess and the pea. My mother made me a curtain that went around the bottom of my bed and they placed my dresser underneath it. It was great! I could lock my brothers out of my area by putting my curtain up (which drove them crazy) and I had the space that I so very much craved.

Like every little girl, I loved to play dress up. My Great Aunt had given me some of her old hats, I never wore them, but I liked having them around. One day, I just started wearing one of her hats. I distinctly remember my Mother asking me why I was wearing the hat. I told her it just made me feel close to My Great Aunt. She didn’t think anything of it, but I remember her giving me looks.

That night I went to bed and brought her hat to bed with me. My Mother tried to take the hat from me and put it in my toy box, but I wasn’t having any of that. I told her I needed to have that hat. She relented and I went to bed.

I don’t know what time it was, but I remember the room being pitch black and cold. I don’t remember my room ever feeling that cold before. I rolled over to go back to sleep when I felt a tug. Oddly enough I didn’t think anything of this. I guess when you are little you are used to people picking you up and moving you around. That picked up/moving me around was the sensation I was feeling. I opened my eyes and I was floating. I was no longer on my bed and I could see the ground coming toward me. Now, to say the least, this was a strange experience. It was like time stopped for a moment and the whole world went quiet. Normally when you fall out of bed (because I had on a few occasions fallen off my bed) the ground comes rushing up to you and you feel a thud, not pleasant. But, this isn’t what was happening. I could see the ground coming up to me, but at an incredibly slow rate of speed. I remember being placed on the ground. I say placed because I don’t know of any other way to explain it. I didn’t thud, I didn’t lose my breath, and it didn’t hurt.

When I looked up, I could see my Great Aunt. Now, we lived hundreds of miles from my Great Aunt and there was no way she could be in my room right then. She smiled at me, and I smiled at her. I must have been dozing because I felt myself being picked up again and placed back into my bed. The following morning my Mother, at breakfast, told me that my Great Aunt had passed away last night. I told her I knew. My Mother didn’t say anything to me and just went on with her day. To this day, my parents have a hard time with my experiences. It is difficult for people who don’t see to understand the people that do.

I didn’t realize that I should be scared, or that I should wonder about why my great aunt came to visit me after she died. Maybe it was because she knew I could see, or maybe she was just checking in on the family.

I write this even now and wonder of it's significance in my life. Why was I able to see?

My entire life has been touched by spirits. Whether they were good or bad, they always seemed to be in my life. My first recollection of a spirit helping me was when I was 3. It’s funny the things you remember when you are little. I have very few memories of that time in my life except for small snippets that don’t seem to have any great significance, and then there will be one that just stands out. It makes me wonder, if I had other experiences that I just blocked out. I don’t know if this is what I want to do, write about experience that have both elated and exhausted me. Even as I write the words I am taken aback, but I know deep down that I have to say it aloud. I have to share what I remember. It seems that time can fade the veracity of an experience. I am going to try to write about each experience as I remember it. Some of them are sweet, pure and innocent, and there are others that are not.

I don’t profess to be anything more than a regular person who has had some extraordinary experiences. I am not clairvoyant, I do not speak to spirits, I can only see them. I have faith in God and want you to know that it is this faith that saw me through the bad times and helped me to understand that even though He loves me, there are still dark forces swirling in this world.